St. Mary’s partners with several food-based charities
to help feed the hungry in our community.
How You Can Get Involved
A-SPAN Arlington Street People’s Assistance Network works to end homelessness in Arlington. On the second Wednesday of the month, a group of parishioner volunteers gathers in St. Mary’s kitchen at 9:30 a.m. to make 100+ bagged meals. At 5:30 p.m. on that same day, parishioner volunteers deliver these bagged meals to the A-SPAN serving location at the corner of N. Oakland Street and N. 9th Street, near the Virginia Square metro station. Volunteers typically work in pairs and use St. Mary’s van to deliver the food. This is a great opportunity to provide direct assistance to the homeless in our midst.
- Can you give 60-90 minutes in the morning or evening of the second Wednesday of the month? Can you help with the once-a-month shopping trip to get the sandwich supplies? Go to St. Mary’s Sign-Up Portal to volunteer with A-SPAN. Lay Leader Contact: Lynn Fuechsel, firstname.lastname@example.org.
AFAC Arlington Food Assistance Center is a community-based nonprofit supplying a source of supplemental groceries to nearly 2,200 Arlington residents every week. St. Mary’s collects non-perishable food items throughout the year. Children can bring in a canned food item as their offering during Children’s Chapel. We coordinate AFAC outreach throughout the month.
- Can your family bring in a canned food item on Sundays? Can you help deliver our collected food to AFAC once a month? Can you help distribute food to AFAC clients on the third Thursday of each month, from 9:15 am to 12:15 pm at AFAC’s headquarters at 2708 S. Nelson Street in South Arlington?
- Can you help once a month at AFAC on the third Thursday of each month from 9:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.? We meet at the St. Mary’s parking lot at 8:45 a.m. and carpool over to AFAC (2708 S. Nelson Street Arlington, VA 22206) together to help sort and pack food. Please wear closed-toe shoes. Go to St. Mary’s Sign-Up Portal to volunteer for the 3rd Thursday’s at AFAC. Email Lay Leader George Covucci at email@example.com to learn more.
- St. Mary’s Youth has a year-round shift to bag raw chicken at the AFAC facility the fourth Wednesday of the month? Can you volunteer to help drive our youth to the AFAC facility on the fourth Wednesday of the month? Contact: Sue Cromer, Sue.Cromer@StMarysArlington.org.
SOME So Others Might Eat is an interfaith, community-based organization that exists to help feed the poor and homeless in our nation’s capital. Last year, SOME served 388,213 meals! St. Mary’s has a twice-a-month Monday 6:30 a.m. food preparation shift at the SOME facility at 60 O St NW, Washington, DC.
- Can you help on the 1st or the 4th Monday of each month at the 6:30 a.m. food prep session? Contact Ned Leonard at Ned.Leonard@StMarysArlington.org.
THANKSGIVING FOOD DRIVE Last year our St. Mary’s collective effort resulted in 207 filled bags and 200 Giant Food $20 gift cards distributed to six (6) local organizations: Arlington View Terrace, Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing, Doorways, Offender Aid and Restoration, Samaritan Ministry and AFAC. All Thanksgiving donations must be received exactly one week before the holiday.
- Can you fill a bag of needed groceries for Thanksgiving? Can you donate money for a $20 Giant Food gift card? Can you help deliver the bagged food to our outreach partners? Download our Thanksgiving Food Wish List and Grocery Bag at St. Mary’s. Call St. Mary’s parish office, 703-527-6800 if you have any questions.