St. Mary’s 2019 Mission Trip will travel to the heart of Central Appalachia, bringing our high school youth and adult chaperones to take on an Appalachia Service Project (ASP).
St. Mary’s annual high school mission trip will be June 23-29, 2019. We have selected ASP is a relational ministry with construction on the side as our mission project partner. Good news, the youth will be about 8-hours away by van, but you must act quickly to be a part of this exciting, faith-strengthing, hands-on, and relationship-building experience.
How You Can Get Involved
- Download the Registration Form AND Expectation Document
- Turn in all forms and a $100 deposit by Monday, Nov. 19, 2018.
- Attend all meetings (see Pre-Trip Expectations listed below)
Location: The Appalachia Service Project (“ASP”) location will be within an 8-hour drive. ASP is a Christian Ministry, open to all people, that inspires hope and service through volunteer home repair in Central Appalachia.
Vision: Appalachia Service Project’s vision is that substandard housing in Central Appalachia will be eradicated and that everyone who comes in contact with this ministry will be transformed.
Organization: Appalachia Service Project is an affiliate of the United Methodist Church with several locations throughout the Appalachia mountains.
Costs & Budgets: $425 (total) per youth. $100 deposit due by Monday, Nov. 18, 2018; $325 final payment due by Friday, Feb. 22, 2019. Please Note: All Deposits and payments are non-refundable. St. Mary’s will pay the fees for adult chaperones.
Application Deadline: Registrations and deposits are due by November 19. We have to guarantee our numbers in early November with ASP.
Pre-Trip Youth Expectations
- 2 Mission Trip Meetings [Dates – January 30, May 29 (Tools Training), 7:00 – 8:30 pm]
- Attend 12 Sunday Youth Forums 10:15 – 11 am – from January to June
- Rebuilding Together – April 27, 2019 (9 am – 4:00 pm) (minimum of 2 hours)
- Attend a Child Misconduct Prevention Training (if they have not already) November 17, 2018 or June 1, 2o19– mandatory for Youth AND Adults
- Attend Worship services at least twice a month
- Participants MUST be active participants in the St. Mary’s community.
Commit to participating in approximately 10 hours of Mission trip fundraising.
- ASP has a 2:5 ratio, so we are anticipating needing 12 adults for 30 youth
- ASP requires that we do a background check on every adult in attendance
Rented vans with adult drivers plus a cargo van.
Contact Sue Cromer, St. Mary’s Youth Minister, at Sue.Cromer@StMarysArlington.org or 703-527-6800.