The season is a time of preparation and expectation for the coming celebration of our Lord’s nativity, and for the final coming of Christ “in power and glory.” At St. Mary’s we have many offerings and events to help you enter into this season. Please take a moment to see the schedule.
Sunday, November 26th: Launch of 4-Week Advent Book Study
- The Rev. Chris Cole will lead the book discussion on Being Christian. Pick up a copy of the book for $10 at the St. Mary’s Office, or purchase a copy on Amazon. NOTE: We are offering the same book study at four different times; sign up to attend one of four times to meet:
— Sunday at 4:00 p.m. (Nov. 26, Dec. 3, 10 and 17)
— Wednesdays at 7:00 a.m. (Nov 29, Dec. 6, 13 and 20)
— Thursdays morning at 10:00 a.m. (Nov. 30, Dec 7, 14 and 21)
— Thursday evening at 6:30 p.m. (Nov. 30, Dec 7, 14 and 21)
Saturday, December 9th, 9:00-Noon: Advent Quiet Morning
Sunday, December 10th – 2nd Sunday of Advent:
- St. Nicholas Gift Mart (10:15 a.m. in Paca Parish Hall). Our Church School classes have each adopted an outreach organization to support and have made items to sell. The proceeds will go to support their charities.
Advent Offering: Praying with Music 4:00 p.m. in the ChapelAll music has some spiritual connection and has possibilities for connecting us with God. This offering in the chapel provides the opportunity to experience the connection between prayer, music, and contemplation in this season of expectation. Led by Minister of Music Dr. Gregory Hooker.
- Christmas Caroling for our Parish Neighbors: Sunday, Dec 10 @6:00 p.m.
Here We Come A-wassailing…Parishioner ages 1 to 101 are invited to join St. Mary’sYouth and Choirs for Christmas caroling. All singing abilities welcome! We will be visiting the homes of some of older parishioners. SIGN UP!
Wednesday, December 13
- Emmanuel Advent Service at 7:00 p.m. in the Nave. “O come, O come, Emmanuel” is a song of people in darkness longing for God’s light. Christmas can be a painful time for many. For some it may be the first Christmas without a loved family member who has recently died; it may be a season that has always been difficult. Come out, and join with us in sharing and hearing prayers, scripture, and music that reminds us God’s presence is for those who mourn, for those who struggle–and that God’s Word comes to shine light into our darkness. Everyone is welcome.
Sunday, December 17– 3rd Sunday of Advent:
- Final day to donate gently used or new coats for men, women, and children to benefit the Arlington Pediatric Center and A-SPAN. We are also collecting new toys (still in their boxes but not gift-wrapped). Drop off items at St. Mary’s Glebe Road lobby.
- Alternative ways to donate coats and toys.
- Deadline to register for Children’s Preparation Communion Class. St. Mary’s will host a Eucharist Education class for baptized children and their parents on Saturday, December 23 at 10 a.m. Register your child online or sign up in Paca Hall.
- Christmas Flower Offerings Due Sunday, Dec. 17
Your Memorial or Thanksgiving message will be in the Christmas bulletins, and your gift is used to create a festive floral display in the nave. Envelopes are in the pews. If you use Tithe.ly, St. Mary’s secure online payment system, use the “Note/Memo” section on Tithe.ly to indicate who you would like to remember with your gift.
Sunday, December 24th– 4th Sunday of Advent and Christmas Eve:
- 4th Advent Sunday Worship Service (7:30 a.m.) includes Holy Eucharist.
- St. Mary’s Christmas Pageant & Eucharist (3:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.) A holiday tradition, we will have two performances on Christmas Eve. Come worship as our children in grades K-5 tell us the story of our Savior’s birth.
- Christmas Eve Holy Eucharist Service (8:00 and 11:00 p.m.) St. Mary’s Choir of Men & Women will sing during this service.
- Music of Christmas Prelude (10:30-11:00 p.m.) Christmas Eve Choral Music & Congregation Chorals
Monday, December 25th – Christmas Day:
- Christmas Day Worship Service ( 10:30 a.m.) Holy Eucharist Service with Hymns and Carols.
Sunday, January 7 – Epiphany:
- Mittens & Work Gloves Drive Continues Through January 7
We are collecting mittens for Bread for the City and inexpensive cloth work gloves for Shirlington Employment and Education Center. Hang your items on the Warm Hands & Warm Hearts Tree in the Glebe Road Lobby.