- Founding of St. Mary’s
- Parochial statistics
- Through the years
- The Early Years
- The Peak Years
- The Troubled Years
- Years of Rejuvenation
The Rev. Peyton R. Williams accepted the joint rectorship of St. John’s and St. Mary’s Churches and was welcomed to St. Mary’s on September 6, 1936.
A young man from a large Episcopalian family in Richmond, Virginia, he, like Fr. Sadtler was low church and, accepted St. Mary’s Mission Church as a community church. During his relatively brief tenure (lasting until 1941), he accomplished a great deal for St. Mary’s.
Under Fr. Williams’s leadership the financial situation gradually improved. By late 1939 the vestry resolved that “because of the growth of St. Mary’s and the raising of a sufficient budget, it is desirable that St. Mary’s become a separate Parish with a full time rector and that the Senior Warden is authorized to appoint a committee to consider what steps should be taken to this end.”
Fr. Williams announced to the vestry in May 1941 that he had accepted a call to Christ Church, Georgetown, D.C., effective September 1, 1941. The number of baptized members had more than doubled during his rectorship, increasing from 85 to 197. The number of children in church school had jumped from 90 to 175.